[at-l] Feet hurt

Amy Forinash amy at forinash.net
Fri Sep 26 18:54:39 CDT 2008

On Sep 26, 2008, at 7:42 PM, Andrew Claus wrote:

> So far, lots of good replies about shoes but I think only Stitches
> mentioned reducing pack weight.  That may be the single most
> important variable here.  Did you ever mention how much you're
> carrying?  And what kind of shoes you use now?  I'll bet a sub-15-
> pound base pack weight and comfortable trail runners will solve the
> problem.  Trail runners may not be best if you're carrying 40+
> pounds.  Good luck!

Measured my pack weight before I left on my last section.  I was
carrying 26.5 pounds including water and food.  I do use hiking
poles.  This time I was wearing some variant of Vasque hiking boots -
last time out it was Merrell shoes.  I've found trail runners to be
extremely comfortable to my soles but to lead to many more blisters
than boots typically do (New Balance) or my foot slides down to the
toe on downhills (Merrell).  The Merrells seemed like maybe they'd
work out if I could figure out how to add a little bulk to the sole
and tongue.  Bulky hiking socks didn't help, they stretched with my
feet on the downhills.  I tried to find tongue padding to buy but
failed.

-amy