[at-l] I don't know whether to be thrilled or not

Amy Forinash amy at forinash.net
Tue Dec 22 15:24:52 CST 2009

On Dec 22, 2009, at 4:15 PM, hiker 317 wrote:

> I imagine that as far in advance of the peak of solar cycle 24 as possible would be a good thing, as far as walking outdoors is concerned. Given the geophysical, social and astronomical harbingers, earlier is better. Even so, i'm still stocking up on sunscreen, vit D3, pencils and aluminum foil. If work gives you leave in the new year, you are greatly blessed.

The sun FINALLY did something recently so I guess we're on our way out of the minimum.  But I haven't noticed myself burning any less at solar minimum.  If anything I think it'd be fun to hike at solar maximum because you might get to see the aurora.  And hey, what do I care if the power goes out while I'm hiking.  :)

I need to discuss this with my husband tonight.  He was probably a little more comfortable with the idea of me going in a year and a half than he would be with "um, hey, I'm leaving for six months tomorrow."  Approximately.