[at-l] Off-Topic - Pollution Scorecard for your County

Arthur Gaudet rockdancer97 at comcast.net
Tue Feb 3 11:36:41 CST 2009

Hi,
Please note that most data is all from 2002, so any recent improvements aren't a
part of the score. Here in the industrialized northeast we score pretty low on
criteria in general. That's one of the reasons Massachusetts wants to adopt
"California -style" air quality standards in opposition to lower Federal
standards.

3% of the houses here have a "high risk" level for lead. This is misleading
since the risk is considered high if the community has BOTH older housing stock
(before 1950) and low-income residents. It's not an actual measure of the number
of houses with lead in them. Massachusetts has strict rules that are employed to
remove lead from homes, including an inspection at every house sale.

We have 5 superfund sites here in Middlesex County, including the infamous WR
Grace made famous in the movie "A Civil Action". "The case revolves around an
incident in 1979 in East Woburn, MA, where two drinking wells supplying water to
the town were found to be contaminated with industrial solvents. When toxic
waste was discovered later that year, suspicions arose that the local factories
caused the pollution. The residents felt these companies were responsible for
the unusually high rate of leukemia deaths amongst the town's children."

We are dirtiest for Air Health hazards, but what's alarming is within Mass this
county is 2nd worst with only Suffolk (Boston)being at more risk for cancer due
to hazardous air. This is on a par with living in the Bronx. The biggest
contributor is diesal emissions.

Water quality is poor, rated as of 1998 so recent improvements aren't included.
I live closest to the Merrimack River & get my drinking water from it. The story
of my youth was that the first filter on the water was a chain link fence to
collect the dead animals... The water is heavily treated, enough so that I keep
open containers on my counter in order to let the water outgas. Swimming in the
river locally is not considered a health risk. So this is a step up from living
on the banks of the Charles River in Cambridge. "Love that dirty water, ...
Boston, you're my town."

So when do you (us, we) cut and run from areas like this. I currently have 2
chronic illnesses; one breathing-related, that would improve if I moved. What's
the cost of fleeing? Where does one go? It's a sad question to ask!

--Arthur aka RockDancer