[at-l] Curiosity, not politics

rcli4 at comcast.net rcli4 at comcast.net
Sun Jan 11 15:28:03 CST 2009

http://www.whitehouse.gov/infocus/environment/

From: Sly <hikertrash at gmail.com>
You'll have to refresh my memory because I didn't see it on the original post, what Bush decree are you speaking of?

Sly

rcli4 at comcast.net wrote:
The Frank Looper thing was a joke because I need to have his mind on something besides kissing me.  I am not a lawyer, but I can take you to school on international environmental policy if you wish.  If the election had of went differently it would have been in the realm of my responsibility. To answer your question; if you recognize the protectorate established after ww 2 the area covered in the Bush decree was defined under the Helsinki Accords back in 1975, which most pertinent nations signed, gave the US jurisdiction over the area.  I can explain what gave the folks the authority to make these decisions and other particulars if you wish, but in the language most folks understand, it's ours because we said it is ours and folks either agree or do not have the power or inclination to do anything about it.

Clyde

From: "Jim Bullard" <jim.bullard at gmail.com>
Clyde said:
>I won't let liberal propaganda go unoppossed but I can't argue specifics on this list.  I told you to send responses off list to Frank Looper.

>Clyde

>PS Jim, Think US protectorates, there lies your answers

My question wasn't for Frank. I know he is not a lawyer but I also know there are some on the list. Nor was it a shot against either political party. I know we hold some islands in a 'protectorate' status. We took them during WWII and never gave them back to the resident population. Whether or not that was right is irrelevant to my question. I understand that we can make laws governing those islands but the declaration of vast areas of ocean floor appears to go well beyond those islands. According to the paper one of the areas is in excess of 350,000 square miles. Does the rest of the world recognize our right to govern the bottom of the ocean so far from our land? With the melting of the polar ice cap there is a battle shaping up over who has rights to the oil that may be under there. The Russians planted a flag (very old school, think Cris Columbus) but Canada is making a proximity claim. Who or what de cides who rules the ocean floor many many miles from anyone's land?  Inquirin
g minds want to know. One trait of the US that grates on people in other countries is the tendency of our government (run by either party) to assume and act on authority over things others don't recognize as our prerogative. I'm wondering if this is one of those situations.

Jim Bullard
http://jims-ramblings.blogspot.com/