[at-l] 5

Ken Bennett bennett.ken at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 15:45:47 CDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 9:56 AM, Felix J <AThiker at smithville.net> wrote:

> While we're thinkin' about things...let's do this: Name your 5 favorite
> AT shelters. And, if you want, tell why.

Well, I've only hiked south of Harper's Ferry, so my list will be skewed
that way. Maybe I should only name 2.5 shelters?

When I think about my favorites, it always comes back to the people I shared
the shelter with.

1. Gooch Mountain Shelter. This was new when we stayed there in 2003.
Nothing too special about the shelter, but we had great company and the
shelter kept us dry in some serious thunderstorms. A very enjoyable night in
a shelter. The three of us on a 3-week hike, 2 long distance hikers starting
out nobo, and a local guy and his 12-year old daughter on a weekend hike.
The guy had all kinds of questions about LD hiking -- you could see the
gleam start in his eye....

2. The Barn (Overmountain Shelter.) Great view down the valley. Spent one
night sitting around a small fire with my family watching the snow fall.
Quite nice. (Spent a different night freezing my buns off in a 30-F bag on a
12-F night. Brr.)

3. Pass Mountain Hut. Great tentsites -- the best I found in the Shennies.
Even better was the dinner served up by Dr Dick and Skyline, the
maintainers. Good company, good food.

That's more than 2.5, so I'll stop there.

--Ken