[at-l] question

Mara Factor mfactor at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 17:52:20 CDT 2009

Looks like you got good info. from everyone else  I managed to find
some other references but they might not meet your criteria of widely
published or an account of a thruhike.

National Geographic is now published widely but I´m not sure about in 1949.

Info from Amazon:

National Geographic, Bound volumes for the year 1949: Everglades,
Natchez, Berlin Airlift, Tibet, Newfoundland, vegetables, Appalachian
Trail, Andorra, Arnhem Land, Arctic (Hardcover)
by Gilbert Grosvenor (Editor)

and Kathy´s page:

Nat. Geo.
Brown, Andrew. vol. XCVI no. 2 (August 1949) Skyline Trail from Maine
to Georgia.

Info from Amazon about a book that was probably not published widely:

The Appalachian trail: From Maine to Georgia by foot trail, a little
hike of 2000 miles, along the skyline of the Appalachian ranges by
Raymond H Torrey (Unknown Binding - 1924)

There´s a lot of info googlable about Torrey but not much reference to
this publication.  More references to his guide books.

Kathy´s page also mentions:
The Appalachian Trail. Hiking Along the Crests of Skyland - a
Pedestrian's Pathway from Mount Washington in New England to Stone
Mountain in Georgia. In, The Mentor, Vol. 16, No. 7, August, 1928.
Dacy, George H.

Mara - stuck in Puno, Peru for two extra days due to transportation strike.
Stitches, AT99

Visit my Travels and Trails web site at: http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor