[at-l] In dreams we walk

Andrew West mountain739 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 6 06:31:40 CST 2009

Dear outdoors folk
What with the excitement of the spring hiking season nearly here I thought a few words would be in order-

Sometimes when you are ‘out there’ you may question yourself
What am I doing here? Why am I doing this? And what is the purpose?
As you slog up the eighth peak of the day with sweat running down your face
With a crushing load making your shoulders arch like a pair of bananas
You stop for a relaxing banquet of noodle and biscuit
Trying to ignore the pests buzzing around your face
Sipping some lovely cow and deer pee straight out the stream
Mmmmmm fresh water that upsets your tummy making you gas bad
The highlight of the day is watching the sunset over the mystical forest
But unfortunately it’s got cloudy and is now starting to rain
So you climb in your smelly tent to enjoy a good nights sleep
Unfortunately the ground is slightly sloping
So you gradually slide down the tent during the night
Ending up in a funny shape down the end of the tent
And in the night you are awake with a fright!
Something is out there breathing heavily in the scrub
Is it a black bear intent on eating some midnight cookies?
You look out to discover an asthmatic hedgehog with a cold rummaging for worms
And yet in the morning after a lovely cup of brown liquid resembling tea
(I am English you see!)
You look out across the valley to see the sun shining through the trees
‘This is the reason I am here’ you say to yourself!
I am doing what I want to do! Connecting with nature
In a way that many people may never know

Enjoy it out there my friends

A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song.
Lou Holtz

http://blog.andywestactive.com/