[at-l] "Appalachian Pages" // ALDHA Companion

snodrog5 at gmail.com snodrog5 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 08:26:46 CDT 2009

As far as which book is "best" - none will get you to Katahdin, and none
will get you killed. Earl Shaffer used the Companion to plan, and the
Databook to hike with, but read Wingy's book and all the State guides and
maps too. If the Pages were around when Earl was still with us, I'm sure
he'd be reading that too. I once tried to impress Earl by telling him I
helped write for the ALDHA Companion. "Guidebooks ain't worth spit," said
he, "at the very best all they can be is a report of what the trail was like
last year."
So my advice is to be like Earl. Read 'em all, and then hike your own hike.

Teej