[at-l] Hat time?

Frank Looper nightwalker.at at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 08:19:32 CST 2009

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 8:51 AM, snodrog5 at gmail.com <snodrog5 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Try this link instead!
> http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=37853
>
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 9:27 PM, snodrog5 at gmail.com <snodrog5 at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Rockdancer! My hat has many miles and many summits:
>> http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=37853&c=574
>> I hope you heal fast and are well soon, my friend.
>>
>> Teej

Must be a new sign. When I went up, that thing was close to unreadable.
Every time I see the 5267 elevation number, I think about the pile of rocks
a few feet away, so that at least the tallest *unofficial* part of the
mountain is a mile high. That pile looks taller than 13 feet, though.

My one and only, so far, Katahdin climb was August 14th 2006. It was 55F
with 30 mph wind. Visibility was unlimited, and I looked around and wondered
why Minnesota was bragging about a paltry 10,000 lakes. Except for the
stupid move of managing to hook my feet in my trekking poles, spraining both
ankles, and sleeping with no warm stuff just below treeline, it was a
perfect day. Hint: Trekking poles are worse than useless on Katahdin.

I do, however, have something that few other people have--probably something
about it being illegal, I guess. I took the most beautiful sunset photos
from right above the treeline! When I self-reported the next day, the ranger
was only upset that they had managed to not notice that someone had not
signed out as coming back from the top. They would have came up and helped
me down.. He gave me a free night at The Birches so I could elevate my feet
the rest of the day and hope to actually hike awhile. Those Baxter rangers
are real gems.

FrankenRemeniscer