[at-l] New sign on Katahdin

Linda Patton lpatton at fsu.edu
Wed Nov 11 11:48:02 CST 2009

> Must be a new sign. When I went up, that thing was close to
> unreadable... August 14th 2006...
> FrankenRemeniscer

There's an article in the Summer 2009 MATC newsletter about
the replacement of the sign in July of this year.  That issue is
not yet online, but when it is, there should be a link at
http://matc.org/MaintainOnLine.htm

Due to the extreme weather conditions, the signs last only about
10 years before the routed letters almost disappear, even after
repainting.  The frame itself had been in place since 1977.  This
year, both the frame and sign were replaced.

There were 17 volunteers who carried over 100 lbs. up the mountain.
The total weight included the sign, new frame, tools and hardware.
The 27 pound sign was carried up by Jarod Hester of Micanopy,
Florida (Yay, Florida!).  He also carried the old sign down Katahdin
and they said it would go in a museum--the new AT Museum, I
wonder?

Nice article by Lester Kenway, MATC president and Tony Barret, vice
president.

~~ eArThworm

 Visit my website at http://booksforhikers.com
"Better to be lost in the woods than in a maze of cubicles…"