[at-l] Longest resupply?

Charles W. Davidson chaseat99 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 09:33:31 CDT 2009

         In 1999 on my first trip through the 100 mile Wilderness I had
a surprise. White House landing had flagged a little path from the AT to
the side of the lake. You could go there to the little dock and blow the
air horn and someone would canoe or motor boat over and pick you up from
the big white house on the other side of the lake. Sounded good to me. I
spent the night there, had cheeseburger and pizza, hot showers from the
spring feed gas heated shower. No electricity there but they did have
gas lights. In 2006 I came through south bound without plans to stop at
White House Landing. Instead I had Survivor cache some food that I had
mailed to her. It turned out I really didn't need the food since I was
just starting out and was eating much less than expected. I had based my
food consumption on what I was eating the previous year at the end of a
900 mile hike after the Gathering. I had way more food than I needed
doing the 100 miles in six days again this time. Next time I expect that
I will take a little longer. You know smell the roses. You do not always
get to choose since the weather and floods sometime dictate you millage
there.
    This year I did 140 miles between stores in the Mojave. I think that
was the millage from Mojave to Kennedy Meadows store. The store is off
the grid, running on generator and a welcome stop with a grill, showers
and Post Office pick up.
        I do not remember the details so good and I might un-belish this
a bit :-). My first hearing of back packing was in the sixty's when my
brother Woodelf backpacked VA to Smoky s area. They packed all their
supplies for the month long hike. I think it was like 150# packs. I
remember the had army canteens. I also remember reading in one of the
guide books wondering how I could ever follow those directions and not
get lost. "come to large open field. the trail continues near the
persimmon oak on the far side of the field.". This just didn't sound too
appealing to me at the time. I figured I would never be able to find my
way if I went. I remember climbing in to his mummy sleeping bag while
inside our heated house. Man was it hot testing that thing out with the
hood drawn close. Little did I know what the future held for me.
        My next encounter with backpacking and my first trip was in 1972
in to Linville Gorge December 22ish I think. It never got over 17* that
trip. I was amazed how by following my brother instructions and lots of
woolen cloths I was able to stay warm the whole time. The stark beauty
of the winter woods has always called me back since that trip. One other
thing since I am way off the subject of this email. I remember crossing
streams on the steep hillside. Ice and snow all around one slip and you
would follow that stream down the steep embankment. I remember dipping a
cup of water from the fast moving water only to have it freeze over a
skim of ice on top before I could raise it to my lips for a drink. You
developed a skill of taking your other hand and tapping the ice with a
finger to break it up and prevent a dumping of water in your face.
           One more for that other thread. I have spent a number of
nights out around -5* on Mount Rogers, at Wiggins Spring shelter and
recorded in the data book sitting by my PC Jan 1st 1995 on Turk mountain
in the Shenandoah -5*. I remember waiting till it warmed up to +5* the
next morning to take care of some urgent business and paperwork that
accompanied such enterprise. We were traversing the Shenandoah's and our
permits had run out. Wanting to stay one more night we went over to Turk
mountain which is just out of the park on the west side.

Work Hike Sunday on Sinking Creek mountain. Short trail relocation. Let
me know if you can come.
chase