[at-l] Thru-hike prep/schools/tents

bror8588 at aol.com bror8588 at aol.com
Wed Oct 28 09:57:37 CDT 2009

While a "school" for Backpacking on the AT may be of limited value in comparison with a /Ruck or a Gathering, it does give direct information from someone who has actually hiked the AT,  I think that one of the early members of ALDHA runs such a school.  A school will also bring together others who are contemplating such an experience and it may be a place to begin lasting friendships among those who are interested in the same area of activity.   I remember attending a Sailing School in NYC and if supplied basic information (knots, wind interpretation, etc.) and introduced me to a group of sailors and people interested in sailing that has resulted in long term friendships.  I would encourage attendance at any school or formal teaching opportunity and then also encourage attendance at more informal events such as a Gathering and/or a series of Rucks.

Jack Skylander