[at-l] 2nd Amndmnt Re: Coyote Attack

Hank & Renee Swicegood hankrenee at charter.net
Thu Oct 29 22:34:37 CDT 2009

JPL wrote:
> That's all well and good, but how should I behave around a
> gun-carrier?  One who is no doubt afraid of me?  (else why else would
> he have a gun).  This is not a trivial question.  I guess the best
> thing is to back away slowly and keep your hands in plain sight.  Talk
> slowly and softly or not at all.  Sounds like fun.
This statement seems to assume that everyone who carried a gun in the
woods sees every person encountered as a potential threat.  We Dinos
often carry in the woods because we are somewhat older and slower than
many - easy prey for both the two legged and four legged critters that
might want to attack us.  While most people you meet out in the woods
are going to be kindred spirits, the world still has the likes of Gary
Hilton and Randall Lee Smith roaming around.  There are also a handful
of bears that don't fear humans, boars that get rowdy during the rutting
season and rabid animals.

A gun is like my first aid kit - I hope I never have to use it, but I'm
bringing it along just in case.  YMMV

She-Dino