[at-l] no weigh. Re: 2nd Amndmnt Re: Coyote Attack

Tenacious Tanasi tenacious_tanasi at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 30 07:15:08 CDT 2009

The Kel-Tec P3AT, Toey?  That's super small and really packs a wallup. I had looked into that handgun for myself.  I'd say that if anyone was going to carry that this would be the one.  (Stats are below.)

Now, personally I'm not going to carry a gun on the AT.  I'm no ultra lighter but every ounce matters greatly to me, and I can't justify the risk vs weight issue. So, no I don't carry when hiking.  However, being that I am a hiker,I always carry gear that does double duty.  So, to say that I am weaponless and/or defenseless is kinda silleh.

For example... Leki pole can be used like a softball bat.  I played softball for years and you really wouldn't want to be on the service end of my hiking stick.  Light weight box cutter could be used for a couple of strategic slices to an attacker of which they would bleed out in minutes from.  Tent stakes could be driven through the eyes, ears, heart, etc.

And, then there is my mind.... keeping on one's toes and being AWARE of your surroundings at all times is your greatest defense.  AND... always remember not to panic. (Yes, Felix the answer is 42!  LOL) Think outside the box when defending yourself and use tools you already have.

For anyone curious about the Kel-Tec P3AT here's some stats and its little sister the P32.

  P3AT .380 P32 .32 Auto
Weight 7.2 oz. 6.6 oz.
Frame Width 0.798" 0.765"
Barrel Length 2.745" 2.675"