[at-l] Eleven

Felix J AThiker at smithville.net
Sat Sep 19 06:30:03 CDT 2009

Eleven years ago about right now "Posse Felix" was waking up in the
deep, dark forest just south of Chateauguay (sp?) Road. We'd hiked until
pretty much dark and found some flat spots to throw down on. We hiked
hurriedly this day to get to the post office before it closed. We wanted
to see how much of our mail they'd lost! This is the day that we met
Chase (that's right, ain't it Chaz?) right around Stony Brook Shelter.
While at the post office we met, I believe for the first time, Roadkill
(or, Road Hazzard). We (I don't remember who all 'we' was...me, Pokey,
Kay K....maybe Patch and Soyboy) ate burgers and had Guinii at the Inn
at the Long Trail. We waited for Stoat...and, waited...and, waited. We
waited for Stoat while he hiked north on the white-blazed Long Trail
instead of south on the less-frequently white-blazed AT. He had gotten
to Maine Junction and...turned right and followed the blazes. It wasn't
until 2 or 3 miles later that a family he was talking to was able to
convince him that he was, in fact, hiking northbound. I asked him
"Didn't you see the sign?"   "I saw it. I just didn't read it"

I had a rough climb up to Pico Shelter that night...I think it was the
two Guinii I'd drank.

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA '98