[at-l] "There's a Bug on My Plate" ...or... how eArThworm could be a cannibal

L. Clayton Parker l.clayton.parker at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 10:48:32 CST 2010

Actually, we still eat "bugs", with gusto even! Americans and Europeans
love lobster and shrimp and these are technically "bugs". We use the
term to interchangeably label almost everything in the phylum Arthropoda
which  includes the insects, arachnids, crustaceans, and others.

Around thirty years ago I was being shown around a local seafood
company's new, state-of-the-art seafood processing facility which
included a large refrigerated lobster holding tank that they used for
interim storage of lobsters flown in from Maine before being sold to
local restaurants. The owners were extremely proud of the facility but
were puzzled as to why the lobster kept dieing despite the most careful
attention to their care.  Hearing their plaint I pointed across the room
to a can of  insecticide labeled "fly spray" and asked if they had used
that in the room. They replied that yes they had. "YOU killed the
lobsters yourself, lobsters are bugs...."

Lee I Joe