[at-l] Questions about Whites and North

nightwalker.at at gmail.com nightwalker.at at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 19:08:33 CST 2010

If weight is not an object, a hammock will work. Just remember that you need an underquilt for that time of year, whereas a single-wall tent and ridgerest work fine for the ground.

As much as I love hammocks, I generally only use them when I don't need an underquilt. They are SO much more comfortable in Summer when the lows might not be very low. And if you night-hike for comfort in the Summer, a hammock is even comfy in the 90s. What I'm saying is that my opinion is not unbiased.

My current tent (TT Rainbow) can go freestanding. A number of places in the North require tents to be on platforms. While you can make do with a non-freestanding tent, my Lunar Solo E was a royal pain on the platforms. Just realize that someone is going to come behind me with the opposite opinion. So in the end, guess who gets to decide? :-)