[at-l] Marooned

Jim and_or Ginny Owen spiriteagle99 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 1 21:02:23 CST 2010

I don't know about Downs, but when I hiked the AT in 1992 there was a family out hiking with a son who had severe autism.  I met them at Cable Gap, just before the Smokies.  Seems the father had long dreamed about thruhiking.  His wife, who had no interest in hiking, said, "If you go, we're going too."  I have no idea how far they got, but they at least got as far as Fontana that year.  (Biggest problem was that she insisted on going to every single town they passed.  She carried a hair dryer so she'd look good in town. ) The son didn't really seem to understand why they were out there, but he was enjoying himself - at least on a nice sunny day.  IIRC, we talked about Dollywood, which they were going to visit when they reached Gatlinburg.

Ginny