[at-l] "White Gas"

nightwalker.at at gmail.com nightwalker.at at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 18:29:32 CST 2010

I use liquid fuel stoves in really cold weather. I havee  used a a number of brands of Coleman-style fuel (Naphtha) in them, all with good luck and no clogging issues. I've always used a funnel with a coffee filter to fill my bottles, and the stuff that gets caught, even with Coleman brand fuel, probaably explains the lack of stove problems. Also, the newer stoves like the Simmerlite are about half the weight of my old Whisperlite Internationale, taking away much of the weight argument against using a liquid-fuel stove.

I've went this far to ask this question: Can you really use clear unleaded gasoline in a pinch? I've never ran into anavailability problem, but curiosity has gotten this cat. To the best of my knowledge, only BP/Amaco and Hess have clear gasoline, so the question may well be moot. I'd also expect this to be a question not answerable by the under-50 crowd. :-)

FrankenQweschunBoxenWalker