[at-l] Mennonite women hikers

Mara Factor mfactor at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 14:36:24 CDT 2010

Mountain Roamer and her cousin Outta Chocolate are Mennonite.  They
thruihiked in 1998.  I'm sure there are quite a few people on the list who
remember them.  Mountain Roamer still shows up at the PA Ruck every now and
then.  Sometimes she comes with her father who is equally adventurous.  She
used to be active on AT-L but it's been a few years.  I remember she made
her own dress out of synthetic materials suitable for the trail and wore
warmer layers under and/or over as appropriate.

While on the trail in '99, I came across a group of German Baptist women at
Dragon's Tooth.  They weren't backpacking that day but they did go higher on
the Tooth than I was willing to go.  I've got a picture of them on my web
site at http://tinyurl.com/GermanBaptistDragonsTooth .  If I hadn't talked
with them and taken pictures of them with my camera as well as with about
six of their own cameras, I would have assumed they were Mennonite from
their dress.

On another occasion, I came across a man and his two sons in a shelter on
the trail.  They were wearing clothing that I associate with the Amish but
had hitched to the trail, riding in a truck - probably not something Amish
men do.  Based on a google images search, I'm guessing German Baptist men
are more likely to wear a similar type of clothing as Amish men than
Mennonite men.  But, I don't really know.

Mara
Stitches, AT99

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor