[at-l] NC and firewood [was: RE:SoRuck reminder: (Who's attending?!)

lpatton lpatton at fsu.edu
Fri Dec 30 17:07:56 CST 2011

FWIW:
The N.C. Department of Environment and Natural Resources (NCDENR) suggests that residents and visitors use local firewood that comes from within a 50 miles radius of where it was cut. NCDENR also stresses that firewood should never be brought into North Carolina from other states.

Maybe there are places near N.O.C. where firewood could be purchased?

"And this our life, exempt from public haunt,
Finds tongues in trees, books in the running brooks,
Sermons in stones, and good in every thing."
William Shakespeare ~ As You Like It. Act ii. Sc. 1.
Visit my website at http://booksforhikers.com

From:  Walt Daniels [wdlists at gmail.com]

In NY you  are not allowed to transport wood more than 50 miles because of the possibility of moving either emerald Ash borer or long horn beetle. I assume this is good advise anywhere on the AT. You definitely don't want any of either of those anywhere you like to hike.