[at-l] backpacking with a bad back

Black Wolfe blackwolfe at charter.net
Sun Jul 3 13:38:31 CDT 2011

Yes, I have been diagnosed with degenerative disk disease.  Prior to that, I
had found that things felt better if I did get out backpacking often.  I did
cut my pack weight considerably too after the knee problem in 2001.
Trekking poles, a smaller pack with a hip belt and a lighter load help too.
It does seem that the pack provides a splinting function that adjusted my
posture.  Also the Hennessey hammock is a lot more comfortable for sleeping
than a pad on the ground or shelter floor.

Now mind you, when I was young and dumb I schleped a few 80 plus pound packs
over a few hills and dales.  NEVER AGAIN!  I seldom get my pack weight under
20 pounds, but rarely go over 30 either.

Unfortunately I have not been out much the past couple years since I am
primary caretaker for my ageing mother-in-law.

Black Wolfe

Bruce W.

From: "Mark Hudson"