[at-l] advice needed

Cody Girl codycodygirl at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 12:56:38 CDT 2011

Everything she said!  Welcome to the list.  I met a lot of boy scouts on the
trail, but only one group of girls from a camp, out for a day hike.  I'm
excited to hear you're planning to take the girls on the trail!
On Jul 6, 2011 10:15 AM, "Renee Swicegood" <hankrenee at charter.net> wrote:
> Welcome to the list, Mary. Praying you and your scouts have a wonderful
> time.
>
> I would suggest you get the PDF version of the ALDHA Companion
> (Appalachian Long Distance Hikers Association's guide to things like
> shelters, special rules about things (fires, areas where camping is not
> allowed, etc.), established camping spots, springs that are not right on
> the trail, and other water sources) and print out the applicable pages
> to carry with you. This can be obtained here:
> http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm
>
> It might also be a good idea to have someone who has hiked the AT come
> and talk to the girls before they hike. The people on this list can
> likely help find someone in your area who is qualified and willing to do
> this.
>
> She-Dino (female half of the Frolicking Dinosaurs)
>
> On 7/6/2011 10:22 AM, Mark Bayern wrote:
>> It would help if you could describe the hiking& camping experience of
>> the group. Are they able to carry all their gear for at least 5 miles?
>> Do they understand that their water will be from a creek or a spring?
>>

>> On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 9:00 AM, Mary Morgan Ryan
>> <marymorganryan at comcast.net> wrote:
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I am taking a group of Girl Scouts on a section hike next summer, 2012.
The Girl Scouts are celebrating their 100th anniversary next year and a
council in VA is promoting hiking the AT in honor of the occasion.

>>> We want to begin in Harpers Ferry, WV because we can take the train from
Chicago right to the trail and there is a hostel to stay in before and after
our trek.

>>> I purchased the official AT maps both going north and south from Harpers
Ferry. I just joined this listserv to see if any of you could point me to
sources of information that might help me plan this trip.