[at-l] Sins

Mara Factor mfactor at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 09:04:57 CDT 2011

This goes along with the results of the study that was published recently.
 Jim posted the link to the article in May

"...sweeping study... dispelling the widely held notion that a sow
protecting her cubs is the prime danger." and "only 8 per cent of the deadly
attacks were attributed to mother bears."

See
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/technology/science/a-few-surprises-in-decades-long-black-bear-study/article2017628/

Still, 8 percent is not zero so I'm really glad Pilot is OK.

Going through the Shenandoah a few years ago, I saw 11 bears.  Three were
sows with cubs.  One even had triplets.  In all three cases, they moved away
rather than posture or charge.

I did corner a lone bear at one point, coming within about 5 feet of it.  It
was completely inadvertent on my part and once the "stump" I was about to
pass moved an ear, I stopped walking, started talking, and backed up.  As
soon as I took a couple of steps back, the bear ran across the path and
disappeared.  It was only when I started moving ahead that I realized it had
been cornered.  I feel that bear would have been well within its rights to
have taken a swipe at me but I'm really glad it didn't.

Mara
Stitches, AT99

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor