[at-l] hikers up north

Cody Girl codycodygirl at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 13:09:57 CDT 2011

Thanks RockDancer, I enjoyed reading about the hikers up there this year.

We ate at a Thai place in Rangely that was really good, can't say I remember
the name, but on the main drag near the laundry and ice cream place.  They
were very nice to us there.

As you mentioned the lonely hiker who almost quit at Grafton Notch.  That
was a place I was really struggling too, I had a tough time with Mahoosic
Arm and Old Speck was done out of sheer determination as I was plain old
wore out.  There was a Maine State Parks worker that I met in the parking
lot there at Grafton Notch.  He gave me some cheese & crackers and my first
ever Moxie and told me if I could do what I'd done up till then I sure could
make it to Katahdin.  He also told me that the reason there's a garbage can
at the trailhead there is because he told his boss he personally would be
responsible for keeping it emptied and tidy. His name is Soda Mike.  One
very fine trail angel.  Don't know if I would have quit or not, but he sure
made think hard about it and was so positive.  I was so lucky to meet him.

Ah well, thanks for the memories RD, back to work now.
Cody