[at-l] trail notes, Crawford Notch, Trip 10

RockDancer rockdancer97 at comcast.net
Wed Aug 29 10:45:36 CDT 2012

Hi all, I've been to the Baxter website and I can't confirm exactly what I'm
going to say. Perhaps someone can point to a reference if they know the
situation to be different. Specifically, Art doesn't mention that there is
an end date even for day use activities. I believe the last official day to
summit Katahdin, under day use rules, is Oct. 31. And that date is of course
subject to the conditions on Katahdin. Also Art states that he stayed
overnight on Oct. 24 and I don't believe this is allowed anymore.

AT hikers & the general public are allowed to sleep in the park up to the
night of Oct. 14. Starting on Oct. 15 and going to Oct. 31 the use of the
park is restricted only to day visitors, whether you are an AT hiker or not.
In 1997 this was not the case and the AT hikers (only the hikers, no
visitors) were allowed to sleep in the park, up to the night of Oct. 30,
only at Katahdin Stream & that "2 shelter thingy" near Daicey Pond.

>From Nov. 1 to Nov. 30 the park is closed to all visitors. The park crew use
the time to cleanup, do maintenance and prepare for the Winter season. Any
visitor to the park is considered an overnight visitor because the park
roads are not plowed. To climb Katahdin you will have to walk or ski
yourself and your gear to an overnight spot.

Dec. 1 starts Winter season and all visitors to the park are now subject to
Winter regulations for overnight stays in the park.
http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/camping/campgrounds.php shows the
Season dates for the different campgrounds.

Winter regulations are much beyond what a regular thru-hiker would want to
deal with in Baxter SP. See
http://www.mainerec.com/wintrule.asp?Category=106&PageNum=106
Going to the summit of Katahdin requires a party of 4, a written special
request permit submitted 2 weeks ahead of time, 2 specified alternate
leaders and the group is subject to gear inspection prior to the start of
the trip. Those not adequately prepared won't be admitted to the park.

So, I agree with Art that a hiker can day-hike Katahdin after Oct. 15,
subject to mountain conditions. But I wanted to clarify that this option
only lasts until Oct.31. In '97 the last of the season's thruhikers summited
on Katahdin, in snow, on a nice day, on Oct. 31. That night, in Millinocket,
it was just a few degrees above zero.

I have heard over the years that at least one hiker has summited Katahdin in
November. He described the terrain on the tableland as pushing through
"waist-deep snow" with high winds. He returned along the Tableland only to
find his footsteps smoothed over and had difficulty finding the trail down.
This hiker snuck in from Abol and returned to Abol to avoid detection and to
then reach Millinocket.

--Arthur