[at-l] Smoky back country fees

Leslie Booher lbooher at charter.net
Thu Feb 16 15:26:55 CST 2012

At one time, there were collection pots out in Cade's Cove to collect money for the red wolf re-introduction.  That was all well and good, but the red wolf introduction wasn't a success because the farmers complained that their calves were sitting ducks for the wolves and other such problems.  It really wasn't a problem with the wolves, but with the people who use the land.  The wolves were rounded up and shipped off the park property, yet the collection buckets remained, along with the signs asking for help with the program.  Very dishonest of the park, if you ask me.

However, couldn't there be a voluntary donation system for hikers?  I know that not all hikers put money into the boxes at The Place or Kincora, but some put in more than their share.

I would hate for the Smokies to turn out like the hut system in New England, where so many hikers can't afford the fees.

a'bear

Humankind (be both)