[at-l] Canada

Felix J athiker at smithville.net
Sat Dec 19 07:02:52 CST 2015

Can we still do this?

.... 17 years ago yesterday....I left Erwin about noon and
headed up to No Business Knob. It would be the last time I'd
see Groovin' Moose on the hike. He ended up staying in Erwin
another night. Next time I saw him was at the Providence
Airport in June of '99. I was pretty much alone from this
point on. That was alright, as it meant I didn't have to
spend so much time explaining what I said.

It snowed pretty hard the last 4 or 5 miles. Very windy and
cold. I stayed at the shelter about 17 miles south of Erwin.
(NC Hilton? Condo? Something. Bald Mtn.) Seems like we got
8-10 inches of snow. That is where I met Hooper and Toto. I
had a blast with those guys that night. Even though I never
saw either of them (they were in tents 'upstairs'.) I was
once again surprised to be crossing paths with
northbounders. It got very cold and snowy that night. I
think the snow seemed worse than it was because of the wind,
though.

So...17 years ago today was...December 19th, 1998. Miserable
weather. It warmed up enough to rain, and the snow of the
previous day had turned to slush. It may have rained, or
snowed, or drizzled every step of this day. I remember when
I got to Sam's Gap, it was pouring pouring. There was lots
of traffic (I think it was a Saturday.). As the traffic
whizzed by, the long tails of water that followed them
would, of course, hit me. It didn't matter, I was already
soaked and cold. I finally made it across the road, and up
to Hogback Ridge Shelter. It was good to get out of the wind
and rain for a snack. That is where the announcement "Vote
to Impeach" came through my headset. I had been listening to
the NPR broadcast of the stuffy impeachment procedings all
morning. It definitely helped to take my mind off the
ankle-deep slush I was trudging through.

I had a nice evening at Flint Mt. Shelter. I saw one of my 3
mice of the entire trip here. I wrote a lot that night, for
some reason. I wrote an article for the local paper
"Photosynthesis: How to use it for good". (That may have
been something else) Actually, I did write an "Update from
the Trail" for the local rag. Flint Mt. is a nice shelter,
I'd say.