[at-l] Start date

Felix athiker at smithville.net
Sat Feb 2 06:55:20 CST 2019

On 2/1/2019 10:22 PM, Black Wolfe wrote:
> Generally average daily mileages are lower on the AT.  Also many
> hikers get wrapped up in the "social" scene and take a lot of zero
> days. Therefore it often takes longer than the PCT.
>
> Black Wolfe, AKA; Bruce W.
>

> On 2/1/19 9:58 PM, Brian Watt wrote:
>> I went to atcamp.org and registered. There I saw that most NOBO
>> people leave mid-March. Why? I've hiked the PCT and most NOBO people
>> leave mid-April to make sure they complete in September before snow
>> in Washington. Is there a reason most AT hikers starts when they do?
>> I'm clueless. Tartan

Yeah, I would use the 'most AT hikers start' as a reference for when to
not start. I would personally rather be in front of the crowds. Or, WAY
behind. As for the actual reason 'they' start mid-March, I think it
sometime has to do with 'Spring' and the feeling the weather has broken
and will be good from then on (also true of April, however)

Felix J

ME-->GA '98