[cdt-l] Feb Start in NM

glen fleag fiddleheadpa at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 11 21:17:57 CDT 2006

In 2002, we started the CDT at Antelope Wells on Feb 14.  (valentine's day)
We were attempting a triple crown in one year and had a support vehicle.
Your problems may be: the Gila  (2002 it was very snowbound but we were
prepared and had Gps's, knew how to use them, and were able to print out
detailed maps with gridlines every few days.     Also, Mt. Taylor was very
difficult going down the north side.  we had a night out in there that we
weren't prepared for.
We had a few days around 0 degrees (in the mornings)   Don't think of New
Mexico as being a hot or warm climate.   The elevation makes it cold.
Of course anything can be done.    but it won't be easy.   Make sure you are
prepared for snow travel.   (we didn't use snowshoes, but the navigation
skills were so important)
You can read  our  logs here:   Reading back over them just now, brings back
lots of memories.   The wind is another factor.   We had 50 mph winds a few
times and one day we didn't hike and found out later that the winds reached
100 mph on tops of the mtns. we would've been travelling.   OK, you can send
me a message direct if you like:  fiddleheadpa at hotmail.com
I really doubt you'll see any other foot travellers out there that time of
year.   We saw some Texans hunting wild boar one day, that was about it.
The main thing is:  have fun.