[cdt-l] big cats in the divide basin?

jonathan at phlumf.com jonathan at phlumf.com
Fri Aug 18 15:54:47 CDT 2006

What you saw was most certainly the Great Divide Panther of legend. This
amazing animal is reported to grow to lengths of 25feet or more, and weigh
nearly a ton. Sightings of this elusive creature have been reported since
the time of the conquistador explorations.... and depictions of it appear
in native art going back centuries. It is thought to be descended from the
great cats of the ice-age (saber-toothed tiger, etc.), specially adapted
to live in the harsh desert environment. It is said the great cat can
bring down a cow or horse with one swipe of its mighty paw... no telling
what it might do to a scrawny hiker - count your blessings!

Plaster castings of paw prints, samples of fur, and blurry photos of this
monster have been criticized by some experts to be fraudulent, but those
who've seen it first hand have no doubts the creature itself is authentic.
Willard Hayes of Farson, WY is one local expert on the cat. "I seen that
cat a few times, and I can tell ya, it weren't no hallucination", he said
in one interview. Willard has spent endless hours scanning the desert
horizon, and playing sound recordings at night of what he believes to be
the cat's mating call. "It sounds a lot like a lady screaming while she's
fallin' off a cliff", he says.

Too bad you didn't have your camera out.

-Jonathan