[cdt-l] CDT Mapping Effort

Gary Wright at2002 at mac.com
Fri Dec 1 15:23:05 CST 2006

On Dec 1, 2006, at 3:48 PM, Jonathan Ley wrote:
> There are a couple advantages to having such a project. It would raise
> awareness of the CDT among a larger audience (i.e. the people
> involved in
> the project), and gives a stronger legal foundation to the CDT,
> both of
> which can help protect areas that might otherwise be lost to motorized
> vehicles and/or resource extractors.

This was the first thing that came to mind when I heard about this
project.
In order to deal with property/use issues the CDT has to have some
concrete
"show me on a map" definition.  That isn't needed to actually hike
it, just
to protect it.

It would be nice if the trail "corridor" was wide enough to encompass
the
various alternate routes, which argues for increasing national forests,
wilderness areas, and national parks.

Maybe there should be some effort to move away from the concept of a
single
trail to the concept of a trail network? CDTN instead of the CDT?
PCTN instead
of PCT?  I realize that the National Scenic Trails are a network of
sorts but
I was thinking more about the various side and loop trails that are
connected
to the backbone scenic trails.

Gary Wright (Radar)