[cdt-l] An alcohol stove for two

Ginny & Jim Owen spiritbear2k at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 26 11:58:36 CST 2006

This was something I worried about before our hike, but it turned out not to
be the problem I expected - largely because we didn't eat the way I expected
us to.

We had two stoves that I tried on the trail.  One was built as a two person
stove out of a Fosters can.  I only used it for one section because it
burned fast and hot and used too much fuel.  It was great for boiling water
in a hurry - but cooking dinner just took too much alcohol.  So I went back
to the one I had been using, which was one Ron Moak sent us a while back.
It was a small single stove - took longer to boil, but used a lot less fuel.

What made the difference for us was that I didn't do two Lipton dinners at a
time as I had done on previous long hikes using white gas.  This year we
split one dinner or one and a half with added protein in the form of
packaged tuna, salmon, chicken or sausage or ham or spam.  With the added
protein we didn't get as hungry as we had on a higher carb diet.  We also
ate a lot more meat at lunch.  The CDT is mostly cool enough that packaged
meats hold up really well.  We ate the 59 cent packages of ham, turkey etc.
with cheese in sandwiches for lunch - and that held us well.

Ginny