[cdt-l] An alcohol stove for two

Alistair and Gail Des Moulins aandg at telusplanet.net
Tue Dec 26 14:27:58 CST 2006

Gail and I used a Fat Pika alcohol stove during our 5 months on the CDT this
year. See http://pbase.com/image/72011334/original for a photo of our stove
and stand in Wyoming's Great Basin.
We used an MSR XGK white gas stove on our 6 month thru hike of the PCT in
2003.
On the CDT on most days we had hot cereal and a hot drink for breakfast and
cooked a meal and a hot drink for supper. We used between 5 and 6 ounces of
fuel per day depending on water temperature and other factors. Each meal and
drink usually was 4 + cups of water. The stove would easily handle boiling 6
cups of water and on a couple of nights we used it to melt snow but that
requires almost double the fuel (and that's, of course, true for any stove).
On the PCT with the MSR we could get 10 to 11 days cooking from a litre (35
oz) of white gas.
On the CDT we did two 12 day sections without resupply (East Glacier to
Lincoln, and Dubois to Atlantic City, yes we are not fast hikers and we
wanted to have spare days in the Winds). On these 2 sections we carried six
12 oz bottles of HEET.
For these 12 day loads the weight of six bottles of HEET and the Fat Pika
stove exceeded the weight of the MSR stove, screen + stove parts + 12 days
of white gas that we would have carried had we had the MSR. After 3 or 4
days the weight of systems would have been about the same and after that the
Alcohol system total weight is less than the corresponding MSR system
weight.
Prior to our CDT trip I did tests of fuel usage and boil times using the Fat
Pika and the MSR. The Fat Pika used nearly double the volume of fuel
compared to the MSR. The boil times of the Fat Pika were faster than the
MSR. Also water boiled faster using a larger diameter pot - so if you  take
a 2 litre capacity pot, an 8" diameter pot will require less fuel than a 7"
diameter one.
I realised we'd be carrying a larger total weight of stove and fuel on a few
days on the trip if we used the Fat Pika instead of the MSR but generally
we'd be carrying less weight than the MSR.
On balance, although our MSR had served us very well on the PCT, I decided
to take the Fat Pika on the CDT because we'd not even have to worry about
blocked jets, failing pump washers and leaking 'O' rings.
On the CDT we found HEET was available at almost all town stops, white gas
was not so available and was usually in gallon containers when we saw it.
On the PCT with the MSR, we'd usually find a 'hiker can' of white gas in
towns. If not we'd buy a gallon and leave the rest for following hikers.
With only about 20 hikers going each way a year on the CDT this system would
not work so well and I think you'd end up buying a lot more gallons of white
gas.

For more details on the Fat Pika stove see
http://users.sisqtel.net/losthiker/pikastove/

Alistair