[cdt-l] Conditions in the Black Range

Alistair and Gail Des Moulins aandg at telusplanet.net
Sat Nov 25 12:22:52 CST 2006

Some more details on water in the Black Range section:
We did this just using the 1:100,000 maps from the CDTA NM guidebook.

Oct 26th:
The last water we got was from the North Garcia Windmill about 6 miles west
of NM163. Very good flow from pipe into large above ground tank.
We did see another above ground tank about 2 miles west of NM163 just south
of the 'trail' but did not go to check it out.
Oct 27th:
We crossed NM163 and then headed ESE then SE following CDT markers then
turned SW on a 2 track on the divide. The trail then left the divide and
descended SSE into Wahoo Canyon reaching bottom about 1.3 miles east of the
divide. There was some water in the east flowing tributary. The trail then
headed SW up another tributary and there was more water in this one. We
filled up after cooking lunch. Where the valley turned SE the trail
switchbacked back to the Divide. We did not see Wahoo Tank. After the
highest point in this section we descended to a col where we crossed NNW-SSE
trail. Here right on the divide there was a tank which we assumed was Dry
Time Tank. It had some water in it and we topped up. On the map the tank is
marked as being on the south side of the Divide.
Oct 28th:
We found water in a west flowing stream just over a mile SW of Dolan Peak.
Not much of a flow but it looked good.
We also saw water in the Kline Mt area.
Oct 29th:
The trail route is rather confusing between Frranks Mt and Lookout Mt. We
were heading SE of the divide west of Frranks Mt and came to the new fence
we'd seen earlier. Do we follow the fence or cross? The new fence goes SE
away from the divide. We saw blazes on the east side of the fence so climbed
over it. Came to a col then good trail traversed South side of Frranks to
another col. Then we saw blazes on Divide climbing up SSE we followed these
up to another top. We then followed blazes WSW but then lost route. We
headed down to the low point of the divide north of lookout Mt and we'd
obviously missed seeing the new trail which would have saved us the extra
ascent. Good trail then took us on west and we came to the fence again.
There was a blaze NNW along the fence line - many trees have been felled to
put in this fence so the fence line is the easiest option in this area.
Excellent trail on west side of divide South of FR226A the road to Lookout
Mt.
We found water in the east flowing branch of Chloride Creek where the
descending road initially comes to the Creek. However, more plentiful water
was in the north flowing branch after we turned south.
Some water damage to trail where it climbed up south of Chloride Creek. One
confusing unsigned junction near divide - we took the higher trail which
deteriorated before we joined a better trail just NW of Byers canyon.
Oct 30th:
South of Byers the trail becomes rather indistinct in burned areas with just
sawn logs and the occasional CDT marker guiding us. On the plateau north of
Fisherman's Bluff we lost the route altogether due to the burn and all the
downed trees but we found the trail just before descending round the west
side of the bluff itself. South of the bluff the well graded trail was a joy
to hike, great views, but there are some thorny plants starting to come up
on the trail. One section on east side of divide seemed to be returning to
nature more than the rest of it.
Diamond Peak Spring: just a trickle - we did not need any water - it looked
like it would be difficult to collect water here.
When trail turned SE at head of Sheep Creek (west side) it became a real
obstacle course due to numerous downed trees and some of these thorny
plants. Some water by trail in the headwaters of Morgan Creek (east side of
divide).
Trail then follows valley of Black Canyon down a bit. Found a spring here
and got water, animal crap in area. Came to stream junction and turned east,
better water in this tributary.
Oct 31st:
Slow flow at Squeaky Spring (which was silent!) but we were able to fill up
our containers. Trail here is on the west side of the divide. We then came
to a 4 way trail jct. We dumped our packs and climbed up the 1/4 mile trail
to 10,000'+ Reeds Peak. I climbed the lookout for one of the best views on
the whole CDT. We then followed Trail 74 SW along the divide. Water in
stream just north of Signboard Saddle. We then headed SW along divide and
then SW on NM61 to NM35. No water along here. We then walked to Lake Roberts
to get more supplies.Water in Sapillo Creek but we did not take any.

Despite some hard work getting over logs and a bit of frustration trying to
find the route at times, we thoroughly enjoyed this section of the CDT. I
was going to hike the Gila route and save the Black Range for when we do the
GET but the record monsoon this year made me decide to hike the Black range
now.

Alistair