[cdt-l] Bear stories

Marcia gottawalk at pacbell.net
Tue Apr 3 20:33:10 CDT 2007

Sunday morning on the PCT in N CA: We were leaving a meadow to traverse a steep hillside. At the last minute the stupid cows decided to crowd in front of us, then amble down the trail in "Sunday Drive" slow mode. When we attempted to bushwhack around them on either the up hill or down hill side they would, in true "Sunday Driver mode" speed up. Finally, we reached an area where the the slope lessened. We made a dash on the up hill side. There was noisy crashing in the bushes behind, then to our uphill side. A bear was passing us as we passed the cows! Heaven knows how long we had been a three species parade.

Cows...grrr!