[cdt-l] Water Filters and use of Heet

Ginny & Jim Owen spiritbear2k at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 9 14:37:49 CDT 2007

HEET is easily found on the CDT at any autoparts store (which most towns
seem to have) or else frequently at gas stations.  If you can't find it,
look for a hardware store which would have the denatured alcohol.  We were
surprised (and disappointed) to find that it was not as available in Arizona
as in NM.  The small towns thru which the AZT and GET passes don't have the
auto stores and the gas stations don't carry gas line dryer - at least not
in April.

As to filters - definitely in southern Wyoming and New Mexico (cow country).
  Southern Montana is sometimes a bit iffy as to water quality as well and
in Yellowstone you are passing thru areas where a lot of people camp.  You
might want a filter there.  We used a filter all the time on our first
southbound hike and intermittently on the northbound hike.  Lots of good
streams, but a fair number of ponds and lakes as well that I prefer to
filter.

Ginny