[cdt-l] bears

Ginny & Jim Owen spiritbear2k at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 12 11:07:13 CDT 2007

Skot Phrea wrote:
>I apolgize for being all "agro" in my earlier post, I just got home after a
>"shakedown" of much of the " O.T ''. My train service on my late Amtrak
>surely contributed to my bad attitude. IF ANYONE IS POMPOUS IT IS ME.
>A.I.D.S / H.I.V  carries a signifigant emotional weight as well as counting
>ounces of medications. I love everyone that has kindness in thier heart. If
>anyone would like a free crystal necklace I will give you one because i
>sent
>a bunch home and I cannot afford MILKSHAKES for all of you .  The Sinatra
>and Sotol have me in a very mellow mood.  3000 +  G.P.S. scout applications
>~   Love ,   Skot

Skot -
Relax - you can't hurt me like that. But it would piss me off greatly if you
got yourself eaten by the bear.  Learn about bears - knowledge is better
than bear spray.  You can start here -

http://gf.state.wy.us/bearid/index.aspx

At least if you get eaten, you'll now which kind of bear is doing it.  <VBG>

Will - I disagree totally about the relative dangers of thruhiking and
hunting.  Go hunting sometime - and while you're carrying out the bloody
carcass, think about how much safer you were as a hiker.  Some of those
"backpacker" attacks have been hunters in exactly that situation.  <G>

In the meantime - think disgust rather than condescension.  Bear spray is no
magic wand - it won't save you if you don't know how (or when) to use it.
Or when NOT to use it. But we'll maybe discuss more of that that at a (much)
later date.  Maybe November. Right now - I'm goin' hikng.

Walk softly,
Jim