[cdt-l] What are the "Desert" Areas of the CDT?

Karen Somers kborski at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 28 13:27:03 CST 2007

For those who have hiked the whole CDT, I am
interested in getting a succinct list of regions of
the CDT that you consider to be more of a "desert"
environment, places where high heat and lack of
water/shade would be an issue.  Roughly, places where
I can expect to see sagebrush and/or cactus.  I'm
planning to use this for a rough gauge of where to
plan to send certain items of gear I prefer to have in
drier, hotter areas.

>From studying guidebooks and maps, I am thinking that
there are three major hot/desert regions:

1. All of NM except the extreme northern 50-70 miles
2. Great Basin of Wyoming
3. Southern half of MT in parts

Is this accurate?

Thanks in advance,