[cdt-l] What are the"Desert"Areas of the CDT?

Mark Davis cdt at startlivingthetruth.com
Wed Feb 28 23:32:55 CST 2007

When I went SOBO in 2005, it was never hot. I saw maybe a few days when temperatures got into the 70s. Crossing the Wyoming desert in mid-August it was cloudy and windy most of the time, the coldest I had been since June in Montana. Until you get into southern New Mexico you are at very high altitudes, which are generally colder. The weather on the CDT is extremely variable from year-to-year. Based on previous experience hiking in the Rockies, I expected to see lots of thunderstorms. In 2005 I saw very few and never once had to stop or alter my course due to the risk of lightning. On the CDT 'desert' means dry; whether it is hot or cold depends on the time of year and the weather pattern as you hike through. Sure, I complained about the weather, but the hike through this incredible landscape was worth every cold and wet day I suffered through.