[cdt-l] More Frank Sinatra in the Bootheel

Bruce Ward bruce at cdtrail.org
Thu Jan 18 10:14:56 CST 2007

Dick,

I did not intend to create a firestorm around this issue. I forwarded
comments form a supporter without his permission and recognize that was
not prudent. As you know the Trail is very much a work in progress and
while we are working to create an official route so these types of
issues do not arise in the future we just aren't there yet. While this
is unfortunate for those hiking it now (or who have hiked it), all I am
asking for is some consideration of the delicacy of negotiations in this
area that traditionally has little interest in supporting so called
federal government initiatives.

We have also spoken with folks at the Gray ranch and feel they have
legitimate concerns about the terms of their agreement with the Nature
Conservancy and the intended purpose of the Gray Ranch.

Again, it is not our desire or intent to alienate those stalwart long
distance hikers and in fact we are doing everything we can to help, but
in the end its all about the long term vision for a border to border
primitive and challenging trail for future generations to enjoy and
appreciate. I know that is what you want too.

Hope we can get together over a beer or two or cup of coffee and discuss
some day.

Bruce Ward

Executive Director

Continental Divide Trail Alliance