[cdt-l] Cut Bank Campground

Remy Levin fellowship_of_yatzek at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 21 18:56:58 CST 2007

The park service is usually pretty good about issuing undesignated permits in the Coal Creek/Nyack Basin.  It's not heavily traveled and designated sights are few and far between.  However, be prepared to demonstrate your knowledge of backcountry travel (if you've thru-hiked anything else that should be sufficient) and LNT ethics.  And you will have to have a portable food storage system with you ie: sufficient rope to counterbalance hang your food, last time I checked you didn't have to counter balance, but it's good to have enough line to do so, esp. if their requirements have changed; or a bear cannister.  Depending on the ranger, they may have you demonstrate that you know how to hang your food properly, but it's not likely.  Walking is pretty easy downstream on the Lincoln Creek trail, but making it between Lincoln Creek CG and Coal Creek CG in a day would be rough, however, it is the boundary trail so even without an undesignated permit you could camp outside the park
 that night, although this would require a ford of the Middle Fork of the Flathead which can be quite sketchy except at certain points.  I wouldn't recommend it in the spring when SOBO's would be coming through.  But, honestly, getting an undesignated permit for  that area shouldn't be hard if you're competent in the backcountry.

-Anish "Heather"

Ginny & Jim Owen <spiritbear2k at hotmail.com> wrote:
Cut Bank CG had a bear box when we were there.

Remy - if you take Jim Wolf's suggestion - what about camping?  Would the
Park grant undesignated campsites for this route?

Ginny

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/