[cdt-l] Resupply by possible 2007 CDT Hiker

Ginny & Jim Owen spiritbear2k at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 21 21:54:51 CST 2007

Two things - on our website we have recently updated the town information,
which should give you a pretty good idea of where you need a resupply drop
and where you don't.

There are very few places that really require a drop, and many of those can
be avoided by going to other towns or carrying more food.  i.e. instead of a
maildrop at South Pass or Atlantic city you can hitch to Lander,  instead of
maildrop at Twin Lakes go another day to Turquoise Lake or two days to
Tennessee Pass and hitch to Leadville, instead of Big Sandy carry enough
food to go the entire route through the Winds or head to Pinedale, instead
of Benchmark carry enough to go through the Bob and Scapegoat, instead of
Macks Inn hitch to West Yellowstone.

See:  http://spiriteaglehome.com/cdt06%20miles.html
The town descriptions are at the bottom.

We also link to "Mike and Kams Shop as U -Go Page" -
http://cdt2003.info/shopgo.htm which has information from their 2003 hike on
hiking the CDT without maildrops.

Others will have their own experiences.  Pie Town is the one place that you
really need a mail drop.  Getting a ride from there to anyplace with a
grocery can be a long long wait.  We also did a drop in the Gila, Ghost
Ranch, Big Sandy and Benchmark.  That was it.  The rest of the time we
bought along the way.

The only hiker boxes I remember were at Nita's in Pie Town, Benchmark and at
the Whistling Swan motel in E. Glacier.  Except for Nita's, they didn't have
much.

Ginny

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/