[cdt-l] Snow Shoes & ice axe

Jonathan Ley jonathan at phlumf.com
Mon Jan 29 15:26:53 CST 2007

Dan,

Good luck in '09. I think it's pretty safe to say that you wouldn't need
either snow shoes or an ice axe to hike either the CT (or CDT in Colorado)
in August/September. You'd really only need snow shoes in the winter or
spring, when the snow pack is deep and un-consolidated. Speaking generally,
you might need an ice ax until ~June in a few places.

If you know how to walk, you know how to snowshoe. And it's unusual to ever
use/need them for a long distance hike (though, they can be helpful for
late-spring mountain travel through sloppy snow). If you're doing a long
distance hike in the winter in the mountains, there are all kinds of other
things you need to be aware of (avalanches, cold, etc).

As for ice axe training... depends where you live, but most places near
mountains will have some local organization doing winter snow-travel
courses, just look for one. Learning how to use an ice axe is not rocket
science, but it is important to practice & know what you're doing... because
if you're in a situation where you do need an ice axe (i.e. traversing
across steep icy snow), knowledge of how to use it (or more often, knowledge
of what is/isn't dangerous or above your skill level) can save your life.

-Jonathan