[cdt-l] stock use

Ginny & Jim Owen spiritbear2k at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 16 21:26:42 CDT 2007

You'll find that a lot of the CDT is not good for horses. Have you been in
contact with Joanne Lennox, who thrurode the trail a few years ago?

The new BLM section south of Cuba would not work for horses - you walk the
edge of a cliff for much of the section - gorgeous, but dangerous for
horses, then climb straight up the Mesa Chivato - impossible for horses.  In
Colorado there are some sections that have a lot of talus - i.e. James Peak.
  I don't think you can get a horse over  that section.  On the
Montana/Idaho border we frequently back and forth went under the fence.  I
seem to remember that Glacier had some iffy sections as well.

For the Malpais - you could have simply stayed on the west side and hiked
the Chain of Craters Byway up to Zuni and Bonito Canyons.  Still roadwalk,
but not highway.

It is possible to ride the Divide - but you have to be creative and
preferably talk to people (BLM or Forest Service or Backcountry Horsemen)
who can give you ideas for alternate routes.  The nice thing about the CDT
is that as long as you 'connect the steps' it's a thruhike - regardless of
the route chosen.

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/