[cdt-l] CDT Colorado

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 28 10:24:29 CDT 2007

Greetings Martine and Henri!

I'm biased, but I think Colorado is a gorgeous state. :)

I am going to try to answer your questions one at a time:

>>Colorado part: is the trail clearly marked all the way in
>>Colorado? In other words, is it easy to follow? Are there
>>signs, marks or cairns?

Compared to New Mexico and parts of Montanta it is fairly well marked overall.
Northern Colorado can be a bit tricky at times in a few spots, but not too bad. Once you get on the
portion where the Colorado Trail and CDT join up, there is almost AT-like blazing and PCT like tread!
Easy to follow with mellow grades.

>> what can you say about the
>>trail in Colorado, especially across the wilderness and remote
>>areas like the Weminuche Wilderness and San Juan Mountains?

The San Juans are among the most gorgeous mountains in Colorado. Though my CDT trek had
me do a lower route last year, I've been lucky enough to experience them on previous trips. The San Juans are just
awesome.

If you time it correctly, you will be in peak wildflower season.
If anything rivals a New England fall for a riot of colors, it is the wildflower season
in the Colorado high country.

>>We intend to get off the trail a couple of times, to get
>>supplies , and we'll try hitch hiking to reach Denver(no buses
>>or public transport in the US anymore unfortunately),

Yes and know.
Greyhound still goes along the I70 corridor. In the ski areas (Copper, Vail, Frisco, Breckenridge, etc) there is a free
bus that gets you all over Summit Country. If need be, you can take a bus from various points to the town of Frisco
and from there take a Greyhound to Denver.  That is roughly the middle of the CDT in Colorado so it may work out.

See http://www.summitstage.com/ and www.greyhound.com

Alas, northern and southern Colorado is another issue.

>>across the Sangre de Cristo Mountains in Colorado for 8 to 10
>>days, starting somewhere near the town of Salida in Chaffee
Mike "d-low" DiLorenzo (on this list) knows a bit about the Sangres. He may be able to help.

As for horse packing, I do not know anything about that. Someone on this list may have some contacts though.

Good luck...and have a great hike!