[cdt-l] How are the bugs for the Nobo on the CDT?

Francis Tapon ft at francistapon.com
Mon Mar 19 14:07:16 CDT 2007

Thank you for all your answers, but I should have made my question clearer.
I'll try again:

I realize that there will be legions of bugs on the CDT at some point. But
on the PCT I noticed that most nights the bugs went to bed after 9pm, thanks
to the cool temps.

I set up my bug proof shelter on the PCT only 4 nights because I would hike
until late.

I've heard the CDT is colder than the PCT, in general.

Therefore, ASSUMING YOU HIKE UNTIL 8-9PM, when the temps are cooling off,
could you camp without full bug protection in July (and not go insane)?

I understand that some like to camp between 4-8pm and that a fully-enclosed
shelter is highly useful during those hours. But if you camp after 8pm, is
it really necessary since the temps cool off at night?

Did CDTers notice hordes of mosquitoes on their bug netting at 9pm? If so,
did this go on for weeks or just one or two bad nights?

Scratchingly yours,

Francis Tapon
Check out my 2 minute video: http://tinyurl.com/yyzdbo
Learn about my book, Hike Your Own Hike: 7 Life Lessons from Backpacking
Across America, at: http://www.FrancisTapon.com