[cdt-l] CDT & Google Earth

Jonathan Ley jonathan at phlumf.com
Tue Sep 4 21:55:56 CDT 2007

Disco,

I think the FS site still has the old route I drew last year.

FYI, I've been updating the route that I did, here:
http://www.phlumf.com/travels/cdt/cdtkml.shtml
It includes an optional overlay of USGS topo maps, along with
alternates, some notes, links to photos, etc. I've only gotten through
from Canada to the Anaconda-Pintler so far... The rest is the older
route, which I will update when I have more time (who knows when...).

The latest version of Google Earth makes it really easy to add/change
.kml/kmz files - basically, GE becomes a wysiwyg .kml editor. The USGS
overlay maps (done by a 3rd party... free!) are a huge thing as well -
otherwise, it's nearly impossible to identify things along the CDT. I've
also been impressed by the extent of the trail that is now covered by
high-resolution photography in GE. There are many places where you can
see the actual trail in the GE view.

I haven't checked out the FS routes/page recently.... It's very
interesting, but kind of a different take on the thing as it focuses
more on the "state of the trail" in various places (i.e. what's on
roads, etc.).

-Jonathan