[Cdt-l] Water update

Jonathan Ley jonathan at phlumf.com
Wed Apr 16 14:46:42 CDT 2008

I had a bit of feedback last year that the lower part of the Gila - from
the Sapillo Creek junction to Doc Campbells - was in bad shape. It was
never in "great shape" before, but some flooding over the past few years
apparently has made things worse. Cubby & Boston's journal seems to
confirm that (or at least per what the FS told them).

That said, the upper part of the Gila should be fine, and is a great
experience.

One option might be to take the official route (NB) to Brannon Park, and
cut down Apache Creek to Gila Hot Springs / Doc Campbells, then do the
northern part of the Gila. If you have my maps, this is on nm30l. I
don't know the status of that trail however. I'm not sure exactly what
Cubby & Boston did... perhaps heading over the "Gila Flat" area just
south of Apache Creek?

Anyway, you could of course, just venture forth through the lower Gila
anyway, and bushwhack your way up the river - it IS a really amazing
place. Just keep in mind that if you're tired & frustrated when you
arrive at Doc Campbells, the northern Gila canyons (especially the
Middle Fork) are a completely different experience - well maintained
trail, and the water is generally lower.

Good luck out there!

-Jonathan