[Cdt-l] Snow Line

Jeff Dishman dishjad at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 3 19:16:29 CDT 2008

Hey Suge,

This information is over a week old, but when we tried to go through Glacier there was solid snow on the Belly River Route at 5,300 and up going up to Piegan Pass....in other places we didn't hit solid snow until 6,300, but that was often on shady and tree covered terrain...actually, the passes themselves were sometimes clear but below was a mess....the snow is melting rapidly but there's still tons of it due to the record year in Montana, a cool spring, and the late snow three weeks ago.  We skipped south to Rawlins and are entering the Winds this weekend, looks to be snowed in up there as well...good luck!

Rabbit

This is a side issue, but does anyone know about snow WEST of the CDT in
Glacier and the surrounding areas? Or how high the snow line currently is?
I'm leaving next week to hike the PNT, starting at Waterton. The route runs
down to Goat Haunt and then west over Brown Pass and down to Bowman Lakes.
I'd rather not tote my ice axe just to send it home in Eureka.

So, any idea about the snowline in the area?

Chris "Suge" Willett

End of Cdt-l Digest, Vol 10, Issue 2